THE GERMAN STUDENT VISA APPLICATION PROCESS
“Change is only permanent” fully applies to the German consulates’ visa application system in India!
Nothing permanent about which category of visa application slots are available at the VFS offices. It was stable during and post-pandemic.
The new visa appointments for study purposes started in November 2022. From November 1st onwards, students should provide the APS certificate evaluation report while applying for a visa.
The Embassy of Germany in New Delhi has a seperate office to deal with this process. They started accepting applications from October 1st onwards. As the process takes four months, German consulates started accepting new applications from November 1st only with an APS certificate.
The process for an APS certificate is not complex as it needs your qualifications, identity cards, passport, any language test passed and a processing fee.
But 12th-grade students who intend to pursue a bachelor’s Degree need to pass a German aptitude test called Test AS and pass with at least 100 points. They can choose the core subjects according to what degree course they intend to study in Germany.
Please consult www.aps-india.de.
The TestAS requirement may be waived if JEE Main and Advance tests passed. Those who have already completed a bachelor’s degree or passed at least the first two semesters of the course also may benefit from skipping the TestAS requirements.
Germany student visa requirements
The introduction of APS Certificate makes the visa application process uniform and transparent and also shorten the processing time. APS Cerification is just an evaluation or verification process of qualifications and other credentials done by the APS Certificate Germany of APS Certificate India office in New Delhi. No more tests or additional documents required for postgraduate student applicants.
Read on for the latest changes in the jurisdiction of the Consulate general’s offices in India as of November 2022.
As a general information
First, let’s talk about the consulates and the Indian states covered under their jurisdiction.
GERMANY STUDENT VISA – NEW DELHI
The consulate office in the embassy for the germany student visa application process has the below states under its jurisdiction.
Delhi, Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, the Union Territories of Chandigarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Ladakh, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Minicoy and Amin.
Students intending to pursue;
- Master’s Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree (with more than 90% in 12th Standard)
- Bachelor’s Degree (has Test AS certificate with 100 points or more)
- Any Degree (has a full Scholarship from a German institution)
- PhD /Post-Doc Degree
Those who come under the above categories can schedule an appointment with the VFS office in Delhi to apply to the VFS office.
Bachelor Students (less than 90% score in 12th Standard) will require to contact the VFS helpline to schedule an appointment at the German Consoler’s office, and you will receive a call later and an email to schedule the appointment.
Germany Student Visa in Indian Cities
GERMANY STUDENT VISA – MUMBAI
The German Consulate General’s office in Mumbai covers Maharashtra, Goa, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Daman and Diu under its jurisdiction.
- Bachelor’s degree students with a conditional admission letter from a German university but not presenting a Test AS certificate with a result of 100 points in the core test and do not have an aggregate score of 90% in 12th Standard will require to apply at the Consulate, Mumbai under D – Student: B category.
Those who will submit their applications at the VFS Visa Application Centre in Mumbai;
- Students with a full Scholarship from a German Academic Institution will apply at the VFS Visa Application Centre, Mumbai, under D – Student: Scholarship holders.
- Bachelor and Master’s students holding an unconditional admission letter from a German university will apply at VFS – Visa Application Centre, Mumbai, under the D – Student: A category.
- Bachelor students holding a conditional admission from a German university and with a Test AS certificate with a result equal or higher to 100 points in the core test or have an aggregate score of 90% in the 12th Standard will apply at VFS – Visa Application Centre, Mumbai, under the D – Student: A category.
- Students who intend to attend an exchange semester at a German university will apply at VFS – Visa Application Centre, Mumbai, under the D – Student: A category.
GERMANY STUDENT VISA – KOLKATA
The consulate General’s office in Kolkata’s jurisdiction covers the state of West Bengal, Assam, Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura.
Students intending to study for a master’s Degree with an unconditional admission offer from a German university AND those with a conditional admission offer for a master’s Degree – will submit their application at the German Visa Application Centres.
The German Consulate General will decide all applications in Kolkata.
Please find the direct URL Link below where the applicant can book their appointments for submission at the VFS centre for the mentioned D visa category:
Applicants under the Bachelor’s Degree category should submit their applications at the Consulate General of Germany in Kolkata.
Please book an appointment from here: German Consulate
GERMAN CONSULATE GENERAL’S OFFICE IN BANGALORE
VFS VAC in Bangalore and Cochin accepts applications directly from applicants under the below-mentioned categories.
- Students who are recipients of a full scholarship paid by an official German Academic Institution
- PhD, Doctorate and Post-Doctorate Students holding a binding and unconditional admission letter from a German University and scientists.
- Master students holding an unconditional admission letter
- Bachelor’s Degree students only with a school leaving certificate of 90% or above or a Test AS certificate with a score of 100 or better.
GERMAN CONSULATE GENERAL’S OFFICE IN CHENNAI AND THE VFS OFFICES
The jurisdiction covers; Tamil Nadu, Telangana, and Andhra Pradesh.
Applications could be submitted directly to the VFS Visa centres
- Post-Doctorate Degree
- Doctoral Degree
- Master’s Degree
- Any degree (Recipient of a full scholarship from a German academic institution)
- Bachelor’s Degree but currently holding a Test AS- pass certificate of 100 or more points.
- Bachelor’s Degree (those who obtained 90 % or better in the school leaving certificate exam)
- Bachelor’s Degree (But obtained 90% marks in HSC)
- Bachelor’s Degree (HSC with 90% marks) + (holding conditional admission letter from a German university, but the admission letter does not ask for any language proficiency to be shown or to pass any exam)
Those under the above categories can apply at the VFS Visa centres.
APPLYING TO THE CONSULATE FOR GERMANY STUDENT VISA
If you intend to study for a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and your studies in Germany will start with a preparatory programme, including a foundation or language course, you must schedule an appointment to submit your application at the German consulate.
But you must contact the VFS office in Chennai to schedule an appointment at the consulate.
To know more, please read the following article