Choose Riga Stradins University for MBBS Studies
MBBS is one of the most sought-after courses for a Science stream student. Most of the students who aspire to become medical doctors not just because it’s a rewarding profession, but for the satisfaction of bringing a difference with their contribution to the community.
One of the crucial steps in your journey towards your dream career is to get yourself enrolled in the best of universities in India or abroad.
Owing to the growing need for a higher number of medical professionals and the tough competition that exists to secure admission in Indian medical colleges, medical aspirants look for other, better universities abroad.
MBBS In Europe
Pursuing MBBS in Europe is an ideal choice for medical students. Europe is one of the most preferred places to study medicine. With the exceptional quality of education, international acceptance, and most importantly the recognition from the medical council around the world, Europe remains the ideal location for MBBS aspirants that wish to pursue their studies abroad.
MBBS In Latvia
MBBS in Latvia is one of the top choices for medical education in Europe, which is getting a lot of attention from international students. A Schengen member country in North-eastern Europe, Latvia is a sought after destination for medical aspirants from many foreign countries. Latvia is one of the three sovereign states located on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea- the other two being Estonia and Lithuania. It has been a member of the European Union (EU) and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) since 2004.
Latvia is known for its high standards in medical education and has been one of the favorite study destinations for medical aspirants.
Riga Stradins University – Over View
The Riga Stradins University (RSU) is a public university located in Riga, the capital city of Latvia. Being one of the most modern universities in the Baltic States, the university is well known for offering study programs in health care with international recognition, apart from many other programmes offered in various subjects.
Established in 1950, Riga Stradins University has gained the highest rating among the largest universities in Latvia, gaining the best reputation as per the study conducted by Kantar TNS market research.
Riga Stradins University ( RSU ) for MBBS
Riga Stradins University offers Undergraduate Programme in Medicine intending to prepare professionally qualified doctors that provide high standards of modern medical care to the community.
Riga Stradins University ( RSU ) MBBS Programme Overview
- Duration of the course- 6 years ( 12 semesters)
- Degree conferred – Medical Doctor (MD)
- Medium of instruction – English
- Location – Riga( Capital city of Latvia)
- Admission in – September and February
- Credit Points- 360 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System)
60 ECTS ( 40 Latvian credit points ) per year
1 credit point = 1 week of full-time study
- Fee- €12000 per year
Why choose Riga Stradins University for MBBS studies?
Let us look into the highlights of the Riga Stradins University Undergraduate Programme in Medicine.
- The Riga Stradins University is one of the prominent medical and health care universities in the Baltic states.
- It is listed on the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- The Medical Doctor degree from Riga Stradins University is equivalent to the MBBS degree and a year of internship in the UK.
- Around 28% of students of Riga Stradins University are international students from over 65 countries.
- The Riga Stradins University provides state-of-the-art infrastructure for medical education, with advanced training equipment.
- Well balanced student-teacher ratio of 1:12
- Student-centered learning that provides exposure to a multicultural international learning environment
- Brilliant pre-clinical training.
- After graduating with the MD ( Medical Doctor ) degree, the students can pursue their higher studies in medicine. They can also practice as medical doctors in the United Kingdom and the member countries of the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA)
- The Riga Stradins University MBBS program is accepted in various nations, including the US, Australia, India, Sri Lanka, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, etc.
- The 6-year Undergraduate Medicine Programme provides access to Doctoral degree programs (Ph.D. in Medical Sciences)
- The university does not conduct a separate entrance or admission test for admitting the students.
Riga Stradins University ( RSU )- MBBS- Course Structure
The Undergraduate Programme in Medicine from Riga Stradins University ( RSU ) is a 6-year course. The program comprises compulsory and elective subjects. The course is well planned and structured in different blocks.
Years 1 and 2 strengthens the students with the basics that include theoretical disciplines. Different domains of Sciences (Medical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, and Histology) and fields of humanities ( Psychology, Philosophy, and Languages) are covered.
- Pre-clinical subjects
Year 3 covers pre-clinical disciplines – Pathological conditions and processes including basic clinical disciplines.
- Clinical subjects
Years 4 and 5 includes disciplines to develop clinical skills that build on the previous years’ knowledge
Year 6 provides internships for practical medical training to produce qualified medical doctors.
Methodology of Instruction
- Practical learning; dissection of cadavers to understand human anatomy, along with study models.
- Focus on understanding disease prevention
- Emphasis on the understanding of the working of family health services team under the supervision of a General practitioner
- Almost 30% of the study time is given to understand patient engagement in healthcare and preventive measures that reduce the need for hospitalization.
- Systematic use of information technology
- Focus on soft skills, including communication skills, professional development, and ethics using diverse learning approaches.
Riga Stradins University – Admission Procedure
- Admission to the Riga Stradins University- Undergraduate Programme in Medicine happens twice a year – February and September.
- Riga Stradins University plans to admit 240 international students for the Undergraduate Programme in Medicine in February 2022 intake.
- The application period for non-EU/ EEA citizens is between 1 September to 15 October 2021
- Apply online with the necessary documents and forms as per the Application checklist
- Online application
- High school leaving documents- diploma and transcript of grades
- Document confirming English proficiency – secondary school English grades/scores of English proficiency test
- Two letters of recommendation
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of passport/ ID card
- Photo of the candidate
- €100.00 – Application fee payment slip
Riga Stradins University(RSU)Admission Criteria
Riga Stradins University has well-defined academic standards for admission to the English-taught Undergraduate Programme in Medicine. The applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Applicants must have pursued secondary education in the Science stream with English, Biology, and/or Chemistry and Mathematics. Physics is optional.
- Applicants are required to have scored good or excellent grades in the final exam in the subjects.
- The high school diploma and the transcript of grades are to be produced
- The applicants must produce necessary documents to prove their proficiency in English ( for non- EU/ EEA applicants )
- Scores of internationally recognized English proficiency tests – IELTS, TOEFL, etc., taken within the last 5 years
- Secondary school / high school English grades will be taken into account for students with English as the medium of instruction at the high school level.
- Check out Requirements for English Proficiency from the official website of Riga Stradins University.
- Applicants must have cleared the eligibility exam in their home country.
Checkout Riga Stradins University- Undergraduate Programme in Medicine- Program Brochure
Career options post completion of the Undergraduate Programme in Medicine
- The students who complete the 6-year undergraduate program in medicine are conferred with the MD degree ( Medical Doctor)
- This primary medical qualification entitles them to pursue their higher education in medicine for their academic and professional growth- either through Residency programs in Latvia or other countries.
- Post completion of the 6-year program, the graduates also gain access to doctoral degree programs.
Acceptance of Riga Stradins University- Undergraduate Programme in Medicine
- The Medical Doctor degree is accepted in the UK, Ireland, Germany, and across Europe in the EU/ EEA member countries.
- The degree is accepted in the US after obtaining the ECFMG certification
- Countries such as Australia, India, Jordan, Sri Lanka, Lebanon, Israel, Syria, etc., accept the MD degree from Riga Stradins University.
- Graduates can continue with their professional pursuits or pursue their higher education in medical specializations across the world. However, the graduates need to check with the medical council of the respective country and fulfill the required conditions before practicing medicine or continue with the residency program in medicine.
- The Medical Council of India recognizes the MD degree from Riga Stradins University, allowing the graduates to appear for the medical licensing exam/screening test.
Riga Stradins University – Rankings
The Riga Stradins University has its share of international recognition with its achievements in international university rankings.QS World University ranks the top universities of the world in specific subject areas.
The Riga Stradins University has been ranked among the world’s best medical universities by QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021. Employer reputation in the field of medicine, and the number of citations were the performance indicators in which the university achieved the highest results.
In conclusion, pursuing the Undergraduate Medical Programme at Riga Stradins University can be one of the best decisions taken by international medical aspirants. Check out more details about the Undergraduate Programme in Medicine from Riga Stradins University click here.
2 thoughts on “Riga Stradins University Admission 2023”
I am 5th year medical student planning on transferring to RSU , what year will I be placed in.
My medical school was in lviv ukraine
Hi, the only option is to apply for it and provide all information; transcripts and marks for assessment before taking a decision on transfer.